Monday, July 11, 2011

Reading, watching and other stuff

Hi!!

I've been a bit gone from the ol' blogosphere, I think it's a good thing to do from time to time, clears ones head.

What have you all been doing?

"What have you been doing?" you ask

you did ask, right?? right??

Well, thank you for asking. I'll tell ya...

Reading: The Lost King of France: A true story of revolution, revenge and DNA by Deborah Cadbury


Why I liked it: 1) This is the first book of the revolution that I've read that really shows what the royal family went through. 2) I really felt sad for the family, seeing what they had to go through especially the poor children, they really did suffer for the "sins of their fathers". Not that feeling sad is a thing to like but it just shows how well the author wrote, she didn't hold back any detail I had to put the book down in a couple of spots. This really is a study of human cruelty and far people and mob mentality can go. 3) The whole mystery behind the Dauphin. Did he die in the Tower? Or didn't he? And what the poor sister had to go through with all of those faux "brothers" popping out of the woodwork....{shakes head} 4) Overall, a great read. You really get to see their story in detail without it being  weighed down like a text book. I had no idea that the mystery had lasted so long....really. The last chapter gets a little sciency but...I don't think there would be any other way to tell what the scientists went through and the tests they did. Check it out if you're interested in King Louis XVI or Marie Antoinette or whatever...you know.

Watching: "The Names of Love"  About a "liberal" girl who sleeps with "conservative" type men to change their point of view. Then she meets someone and whamo bamo life changes. 

Why I hated it: 1) Something happens when the woman was a little girl that makes her say, "I only had two options in my life. become a ......... or a ....... so I became a ......." (blanks inserted so I don't give too much away) and I hated her choice. I hated the whole line in fact, I was like "really?!" So I really didn't like the female lead from the beginning. 2) There's an infamous subway scene. In fact there's two subway scenes, I like the second one better then the first one. The first one is the infamous one, supposedly happened in real life. Again I was like "really?! You didn't notice?" 3) Then there's the part she's throwing .... in the ..... that they just bought from a market. I'm like "What are you doing? You're not really doing anything, you stupid !@#" 4) Then the whole part where you see the dude change a little to her point of view but she never really changes. ok she stops sleeping around but aren't you supposed to when you find the love of your life? 5) There was too much trying to be packed into one film. It really could have been two separate ones. The whole thing about their heritage and then a different one about the romance. There really wasn't much of a  romantic comedy aspect, I've seen better like "How to get married and stay single" (also french). 6) Female frontal nudity no male. :(  (but The Hubs said I was being pithy at that point)

Obsessing: Korean Drama! Thanks to the wonder that is Hulu I am now hooked! Been watching "The woman who still wants to marry" and "Lovers in Paris", mais bien sûr.



Been doing some other stuff but I see this post is gettin' a little long, so I'll save it for another day...

relax,
paulina


No comments: