Saturday, January 1, 2011

Movie Monday: Sorcerers and French Kisses

On Mondays I like to talk about movies. Yeah, yeah I know today is technically Friday Saturday, but I told myself I was going to catch up on this here blog with no more falling behind. So, that means I have a whole week to write about...lucky you!!

First off...Happy New Year!!

I have dubbed this "The Year of Being The Grown-up". I am going to get more financially responsible and take matters into my own hands instead of waiting for something to drop out of the sky. Since October I feel like I have been floundering because I don't have a set schedule or structure (other than taking the kiddies to school and so forth). I had a schedule when I was working, you know the whole 9-5 work week then play with kids on weekends. I even managed to see Phoenix 8 times within a 15 month period since June of 2009. So basically, life was work, kids, concert, work, kids, concert...  Now that Phoenix has stopped touring and I am no longer working I'm like "aaaahhhh!!! Now what?" Yes, I am doing the school thing but I was moving really slow these past few months while I floundered.

So, no more. No more floundering, no more feeling sorry for myself, no more waiting on others. I am going to put on my big girl pants, slap myself in the face and wake up!!

I made some goals for myself and I'd like to share three with you:
1) Save money for my birthday this year so that when it finally rolls around I will have my own money to do with what I like!! I'm thinking Vegas...
2) Buy myself (at least) one Chanel item a year. I'm a grown-up now (i think) and I deserve to celebrate all my hard work at the end of the year. And I just really like Chanel (and Nina Ricci and Ferragamo and Valentino...)
3) Do the week in a day cooking. I would like to take one day and prep for the rest of the week. I think it would really save me time and help me look forward to cooking at night when one is just too pooped.

Not really resolutions more like goals. I have also made this the figurative "Mullet Year". What's that, you ask? It's a year where you do your business in the beginning of the year so that at end you can paaarrrtttyy!! I would like my goals accomplished by September so I can enjoy the end of the year with little stress and worry.

What are your plans and/or goals?
 
Now...on to point of this blog. Movie Mondays. This week I watched The Sorcerer's Apprentice. You know, the one with Nic Cage. It was good (shrugs shoulder), I really don't have anything bad to say about it. The dorky kid is likable and Nicolas Cage is well...Nicolas Cage. I liked that they did an "homage" of sorts to the original Sorcerer's Apprentice (from Fantasia) and the kids liked it so overall a good family movie. It had magical violence and some humor. The only thing is that the dorky kid's love interest had a very Kristen Stewart look to her that was kinda distracting, I kept thinking "Is that KS?" and the whole love thing between the two of them was just kinda thrown in I felt. But still worth renting.

Next movie I watched was Priceless with Audrey Tautou. It was cute. It is French so I watched with the subtitles, natch. (But I was like "yay!" when I could pick out words here and there without the subtitles..I'm learning!) For some reason I had a bug to watch a romantic comedy in french and ended up picking a good one. The character Irene only falls for rich men, a gold-digger if you will, and one day she meets Jean who she thinks is rich...but really...is not! (shocker) I mean, so it is a little predictable but you end up liking Jean from the beginning and kinda hating Irene till near the end when her vulnerability starts to show. Jean even gets himself into a romantic predicament. It's funny, it's cute, the clothes are to die for and Audrey Tautou is sooo waif-like you almost want her to eat more lobster and caviar (here honey, have some bread). I just looked up her other movies, duh..she was the girl in The DaVinci Code (slaps forehead). I ended up liking her and will watch He Loves Me...He Loves Me Not next then Coco Before Chanel. Considering my new Chanel goal I should watch this, no?

Do you guys like Audrey Tautou? Do you watch foreign films for the fun of it?

No comments: