Sunday, January 13, 2013

Reading: Blood Orange Brewing

Blood Orange Brewing (A Tea Shop Mystery, #7) Social darling Delaine Dish is throwing a lavish Candlelight Concert to raise funds to restore a run-down Victorian home-and Theodosia Browning is more than happy to help out with tea and tasty treats from the Indigo Tea Shop.

Unfortunately, the unveiling of Theo's opulent spread proves to be far from grand after retired CEO and beloved politico Duke Wilkes falls to the floor with a jagged piece of metal protruding from his neck. When the Widow Wilkes begs Theo to apply her sleuthing skills, she can't refuse. But her investigation opens up a simmering pot of shady politics and personal payback, and Theo soon finds herself in a situation stickier than any jam she's ever served.

source: goodreads

This book fulfills the "B" in the A-Z challenge and What's in a name: kitchen category.

This is my first Theodosia Indigo Tea Shop mystery and I wasn't too impressed. Everyones name is funny: Delaine Dish, Pookie Wilkes and more but I can't remember (turned in book yesterday). The plot is a little slow, the murder happens in the first chapter and I never saw the resolution coming. I mean, it seemed a little far-fetched it was kinda just thrown in at the last chapter. Some things didn't add up like why was Theo's dog kidnapped? To throw her off the trail? If they hadn't kidnapped her do she would never had figured it out and they would have gotten away (with it too). So, I guess that was why it was thrown in. Was Peyton's cat a cat or a jaguar cub? That was never solved and I really wanted to know. Is it in the next book? Then I'll never find out because I probably won't pick it up. The characters were a bit annoying. Did like Drayton though, he was my favorite. Delaine was a complete nitwit, Theo had a love/hate thing going with the detective, it's like kiss already and get it over with. Put us out of our misery.

I did like the descriptions of tea and the recipes put at the back of the book. I'm so intrigued by tea now that I went out and bought some China Oolong Tea yesterday. Gonna have a cup after posting. My mouth is watering for tea.

So, there's that at least. Although I did shed a tear on the last page, it was a nice beautiful ending but I just didn't see that whole thing coming, there should have been more clues.

I would not recommend it and would give it 2 out of 5 mainly because of Drayton, the whole cat/cub mystery and a new-found interest in tea.

relax,
paulina


No comments: